The Kate, a 200 foot English steamer, was en route from Galveston, Texas to Le Havre, France with a load of cotton when she struck a reef 22 miles northwest-west of Gibbs Hill Lighthouse on November 30, 1878. She sought assistance and was taken in tow by the tugboat the Ackerman. Due to extensive damage she was grounded to assist in the salvage of her cargo of cotton.
On December 10th, 1878 a gale broke her up further and pushed her into deeper water where she lies today in 45 feet of water almost 1km from the Natural Arches beach, with her boilers, engine, propeller shaft and deck winches still visible. Snorkelers can also find her propeller sitting alone on top of the reef in 20 feet of water.
The wreck was never lost and was always known as a fishing site.
This wreck is buoyed under the Bermuda Dive Sites program established by the Marine Environmental Committee of the Bermuda National Trust in association with the Ministry of the Environment and is a protected site with a 300m no fishing limitation.
The Kate appeared in the Bermuda Sun Protected Historic Wrecks List submitted by the Receiver of Wreck in October 1977.