UKOTA Scholarship for Environmental MSc at the University of Reading

Are you interested in studying for a  1 year taught environmental MSc at the University of Reading, UK commencing October 2011?

The Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC) has made a contribution to a scholarship to enable a student from one of the Overseas Territories (OTs) to study an environmental Master of Science at the  University of Reading. The scholarship will be administered by the United Kingdom Overseas Territories Association (UKOTA) which was established in 1993 to promote the interests of the United Kingdom Overseas Territories and co-operation between them. Specifically UKOTA demonstrates the collective and individual partnerships between the territories and Her Majesty’s Government. This scholarship is part of the Overseas Territories Training and Research Programme which will contribute to capacity building within the OTs.


As part of the scholarship, the student’s tuition fees will be paid, travel to and from the Territory and monthly allowances to cover accommodation and living expenses. For more details on allowances  please see the UKOTA website or contact Mrs Kedell Worboys, Chair of the UKOTA Environment Working Group via email: or Tel: +44 (0) 207 031 0314 Fax +44 (0) 207 031 0315


Why study an Environmental MSc?

Human activities have damaged the Earth’s ecosystems and caused significant biodiversity loss. This is a global problem, but is also very relevant to the UK Overseas Territories. The UKOTs are rich in biodiversity, but this biodiversity is under threat from a range of human activities. Reducing these losses and designing a more sustainable future requires skilled individuals who will develop evidence-based solutions. Studying an environmental MSc will give you the skills to develop a career that works toward sustainable development.


Who are we looking for?

We wish to award the scholarship to a dedicated student, who can show strong evidence of a commitment to, or is keen to develop, a career in nature conservation in the Overseas Territories.


To qualify for the scholarship applicants must be over the age of 20yrs, have Overseas Territories Citizenship, or the right to live and work in an Overseas Territory and satisfy the University’s course entry requirements.


Application from students with exceptional experience, including mature students with experience of working within the environmental/conservation sector in one of the Overseas Territories will be considered favourably.


The application process.

The scholarship is available to students wishing to take any of the courses from the list below.  Please check that satisfy course entry requirements before applying for the scholarship. Students should submit a letter of application outlining which course they are interested in, and why they think they should be awarded this scholarship (c. 500 words). This letter, and an accompanying CV (including the names of 2 referees) should be submitted to Kedell Worbys  by 15th of April 2011.

Applications will be reviewed and the scholarship winner will be selected by the Scholarship board.


The successful applicant will then need apply to the University of Reading for a place on their chosen MSc course. The scholarship award will be dependent on the offer of a place from the University.


Closing date: 15th April 2011


List of taught courses that Scholarship will fund (to be confirmed)

Atmosphere, ocean and climate.


Communication for innovation and development

Environment and Development

Environmental Management

Extension for Natural Resource based livelihoods


Plant Diversity

Renewable energy

Research (human geography)

Soils and environmental pollution

Wildlife management and Conservation



Links for further information:


For further information on UKOTA and details of allowances go to:

For further information on modules please follow the link:

For further information on the School of Biological Sciences go to

For further information on the University of Reading, including information on accommodation, student services, etc, go to: